everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Feeding the Troops

Firstly, I have to apologize in advance...I really meant to get back into the habit of regularly posting on here, but we finally closed on our new house (!!!!) and are in the slow process of moving. Thank goodness the house is only about a mile from our apartment, so we can do most of the move by car, but regardless, things are a crazy mess and that limits the blogging opportunities. That in combination with the fact that I somehow managed to melt the camera battery charger (long story...) and haven't replaced it yet will limit my posts for awhile. but anyway...

Saturday, a massive contingent of family from both sides descended upon Syracuse to help us move furniture over to the house. My policy is that when people help you out, you have to feed them....plus I wanted to try out the new appliances. So, after a long day of hauling heavy furniture and boxes down 3 flights of stairs and then up at least 2, sometimes 3, flights of stairs, inhaling massive quantities of rabbit hair and dust that had collected behind said furniture, dealing with Katie's wonderfully helpful but majorly OCD father, and actually having to go out and buy a pound of hamburger to appease the carnivores (my uncle and cousin installed our stove, microwave and dishwasher, plus figured out how to turn on our hot water heater and bought us one of those crazy turns-into-5-million-different-things ladder...if they wanted meat, we were willing to get them some meat), we at down to eat. The menu included:

Veggie Chili (with meat on the side, uck)
All-Corn Cornbread, fat-free-ified with applesauce/nutritional yeast
Susan's Impossible Vegan (and gluten-free) Pumpkin Pie made from real, not canned, pumpkin
and an awesome fruit salad made by my grandmother.

We had tons of leftover chili, cornbread and pie, mostly since we made it for 10-12 people and only 7 ended up staying for dinner, but that ok, cuz it all found a good home when we had friends over to help us paint today...the pie was amazing, especially for crust-haters like me, and the cornbread is officially my favorite cornbread recipe of all time. Plus the massive quantity of food managed to sustain us as we stayed up until 2 am hauling boxes around to clear out the rooms to be painted and setting up fishtanks to prevent fish-death. Can I just say that I LOVE daylight savings?!

Some day I will get pictures up of food/house, but until then, back to moving...

5 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Sounds like life is crazy... Glad you are settling in and it is awesome that your family helped out like that.

I'd be happy to help, knowing great food like that was the reward.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger bazu said...

Ooh, I wish you guys good luck with the moving. It's a huge mess, I know, I've done it, like 10 times in the last few years! I agree with your feeding the troops philosophy.

But I just want to say... canned pumpkin is real! It's one of the healthiest least processed foods out there. I consider fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin 2 completely different foods, each with their own uses, pros, and cons. Ok, I'm sure you loved hearing my 2ยข...

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger kickpleat said...

congrats on the house! i'm jealous ;) and that cornbread sounds delicious!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger TB said...

congratulations on your new home! good for you for feeding your people (best form of vegan outreach, imho), and i can't wait to see what you cook up in your new kitchen!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

Thanks to everyone for the congrats. Despite the (many) problems of the past few weeks, we are loving home ownership.

Bazu: Ten moves...I'd have to shoot myself...and, in regards to the great canned vs fresh pumpkin debate...yeah, canned pumpkin is real pumpkin, I know...but there is something very satisfying about hacking apart, gutting, roasting and mashing one's own squash. Regardless, I am already stocking up on the pre-Thanksgiving sale canned pumpkin, as well as the real thing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home