everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Veggie Lasagna

Its cold, we are having new house drama (hopefully to be remedied tomorrow AM) and all I want is comfort food. Which means warm, rich goodness in whatever form my pantry/fridge yields for the day. Homemade chunky applesauce, "skillet supper" of chickpeas, beans and veggies, mixed bean soup, roasted squash...and lasagna.


I wasn't going to post about this since its really quite basic with no "real" recipe, but the picture turned out kinda cool and the whole thing was super tasty. Basically, I layered, in this order: tomato sauce, pre-cooked brown rice pasta, tofu "ricotta" made with firm tofu, nutritional yeast, a little lemon juice, garlic and fresh (frozen) basil, with some cooked greens (in this case turnip) mixed in, sauteed veggies (carrots, mushrooms, onions and garlic) w/ seasonings, then another layer of sauce, etc. Topped with more sauce and a whole bunch of nooch then stuck in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes, then under the broiler for another 5-10 to brown up the top. Let it set for about 15 minutes before cutting....it still kinda fell apart but tasted fine regardless. The picture's from the next day after it was in the fridge overnight and had really set well.

I really should stop self-medicating with food, but comfort food is so...comforting.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger TB said...

veggie lasagna is the best! it's amazing what a good tofu ricotta can do :)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger bazu said...

Mmmm. Can you believe that I've never made vegan lasagna? I really should- your looks wonderful!
I thought I was the only person that eats (and loves) turnip greens. I buy these huge bags of frozen southern-style greens from Price Chopper: collards, mustard, turnip, etc.... love love.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

That is one yummy looking lasagna. The carrot pickles also sound good...though I'd probably sub white vinegar for the apple cider because I've never loved any pickle recipes with the cider kind.

Hope you are doing well.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, yummy yummy lasagna!

This may sound random, but who is your favorite super mario character? (in general, not necessarily the best in the game). I'm doing a mini-survey! I'll check back--thanks.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

Bazu; I love all the green Price chopper has...its really only one of a few things we ever go there for...otherwise it would just be wegmans and the farmer's market.

anonymous: uh, yes that is a random question...but probably yoshi, especially in the snes game where he could turn blue and red and whatever and have special powers. wow, i'm a dork.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

that looks really delicious! i love comfort food ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home