everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Friday, June 30, 2006

Slow cooked beans and rice

Sometimes, I just want to be able to have a simple meal that takes barely any work...especially when I've been at the hospital all day and only have to feed myself. So I made this up on Wednesday night and have had it with some salad or quick soup for dinner the past 3 nights. I don't mind redundancy if I'm by myself.

Slow Cooked Beans and Rice

1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 cup dried beans of whatever variety you choose
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, minced
4 cups of water, or maybe a little more depending on the humidity
1 tsp paprika (smoked is extra nice)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano, basil, or a mix of both
1 tbsp nutritional yeast powder
3 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients, excpet salt, to a slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours. Add salt once beans are completely cooked. You can also add some fresh spinach towards the end of cooking. Try mixing in some fresh salsa, avocado pieces, fresh corn kernels, marinated tofu cubes, etc after cooking to complete the meal and add variety if eating over several nights.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Yum. I've veganized random banana bread recipes before, but never wrote it down.

A few of my fav vegan cookbooks have recipes for it and I'd be happy to email you one.

Send me an email, so I can respond and I'll type a few recipes up for you.

My email is my blog name (vegchic)
at gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home