everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pesto-Adzuki Stuffed Zucchinis

About a week ago, we were in Boston visiting the folks and we ended up buying a ginormous package of fresh basil so we could use maybe 3 tbsp of it in a dish we were bringing to a potluck. So this package of lettuce-leaf basil with at least a cup left ended up sitting in the back of our fridge. We also have a lovely little basil plant trying to grow big and strong in our window sill.My policy is when life gives you excessive amounts of basil, make pesto...so I did. I had never made vegan, low fat pesto before, but I do adore nutritional yeast. So a bunch of basil, some raw almonds, garlic, pepper, nutritional yeast and just enough water to get it to blend, and I got this:


For dinner on Friday I mixed about half of the pesto with some well-cooke adzuki beans, sauteed garlic and onion, thawed out frozen spinach and more nutritional yeast, pepper, some smoked paprika and some garlic powder. I then stuffed it into some zucchinis that really needed to be used and baked it all for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. The results? Nothing pretty, as you can see, but pretty tasty.
Next time, however, this will be stuffed into tomatoes, or at least have tomatoes added and perhaps used as a sauce? I dunno. The zuccs were lacking but definatly edible so we shall be tinkering further with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home