everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Monday, December 31, 2007

Balsamic Butternut Squash Soup

My very first pressure cooked soup! And it was quite tasty, if I do say so myself.

Balsamic Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash (can use any other yellow/orange winter squash here, like pumkin or acorn), peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
1 lrg onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp low-sodium veggie bouillon powder (I used Vegebase)
1/2-1/2 tsp ground sage
2-3 cups frozen greens (I used turnip but you can use spinach, collards, whatever)
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1. Add all ingredients except greens and balsamic to your 4-6 quart pressure cooker. Add enough water to be seen through the veggies (about 3-4 cups). Fasten lid and bring up to pressure. Let cook under pressure for 10 minutes then use a quick release method to bring pressure down. *
2. Once its ready, remove lid and either transfer ingredients in batches to a blender and blend until smooth, or blend in the pot with a hand blender.
3. Return to the stove and add the greens. Over low-med heat, heat through until the greens have thawed and are cooked through.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic. Garnish with additional balsamic and/or minced onion. Serves 4-6.

* Alternatively, if you don't have a pressure cooker, bring the contents to a boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is soft then proceed with the recipe.

Nutritional Info: Servings Per Recipe:6, Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143.9, Total Fat: 1.1 g, Cholesterol: 0.0 mg, Sodium: 513.8 mg, Total Carbs: 32.5 g, Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g, Protein: 5.1 g

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger andrea said...

happy new year! do you make up all these recipes yourself, or find them in random cookbooks?

my gf bought an old moosewood cookbook for ONE DOLLAR, and it's one of the best resources we have!

take care!
andrea

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

Andrea...most of my recipes are inspired by other recipes but I don't follow an actual recipe very often. This one is like that...I knew about what I wanted flavor-wise so I used a few basic recipes to get the cooking times and amounts but then modified and seasoned it to my own tastes. I try and make sure to credit the original recipe if I stick to one or even stick pretty close to one.

I love the original moosewood book...their lentil soup is one of our staples around here, at least once a month in the winter!

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rachael,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. Following up on a recent email invitation to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program, I just want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the quality of your posts. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home