everything here is eatable

Mostly-vegan low-fat whole foods recipes

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spiced Apricot Granola


I have been on a granola kick lately...mostly involving the wonderfully delicious varieties available in the Wegman's bulk section. And, although packed full of fiber and other goodness, I am quite glad that the nutrition information isn't available on the tubs...not only because I have sworn off reading nutrition labels (other than the ingredients panel) but because I'm sure that reading the nutrition information would result in the shattering of all my illusions about the healthy nature of packaged granola. It also seems kind of pointless to continue to buy premade granola when I know its easy to make at home, not to mention cheaper and healthier, since I can control whats in it. I looked at a bunch of recipes for low fat and fat free granola and then sort of threw things together until it looked good (honestly, when was the last time I followed a recipe exactly?). And it came out pretty well, if I do say so myself. This recipe is wheat-free and could easily be made gluten-free if one used GF-certified oats or another kind of oat-like rolled cereal and could be made fat free if you leave out the nuts and seeds...but, really, please don't.


Low-Fat Spiced Apricot Granola

2 cups rolled oats
2 tbsp white sorghum flour or other flour
1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer
6-7 dried apricots, cut into thin slices
2 tbsp golden raisins
1 tbsp sesame seeds (I used black for some color variation)
1-2 tbsp ground flax seed
2 tbsp green pumpkin seeds
1/2 c crisp rice cereal or other crunchy cereal (I used "Nutty Rice")
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp "Cake Spice" or:
-pinch nutmeg
-pinch allspice
-pinch ginger
-pinch cardamon
-tiny pinch ground cloves
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 c white grape juice, apple juice or orange juice
1/2-1 tsp agave nectar (optional, I just wanted it a tiny bit sweeter)

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Mix all the dry ingreidents and spices together until well blended. Add the vanilla, juice and agave nectar, if using and blend well until the whole mass is sticky. Spread in an even, thin layer over the cookie sheet and press down on some clumps to make it stick together (if you don't like chunky granola, the skip this step). Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and starting to brown (watch the edges, this may burn quickly. Really, see the pictures.). Let cool then transfer to a jar or bag and store in the freezer.

This is not very sweet but has a nice flavor. Its awesome with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and fresh or frozen fruit.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks crisp-a-licious! nothing better than homemade granola with soygurt or unsweetened soy milk, IMO. :)

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Lonnie said...

I just found your blog and it's great! Anyone who can actually plant both garlic and blueberries in Syracuse is on the same planet I'm on. I've got the garlic but didn't get blueberries in. I'll have to see if I can put them in next Spring. Please link to chusonchow.com!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home